[ltp] X40...Fedora Core 3 or Suse 9.2?

Giuseppe Castagna linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:44:59 +0100

Kenneth Papp wrote:
> I just got an X40 and have been using Linux for about 3 years on my
> desktop.

I've an X40 with Fedora 3

> 1) Intel Pro 2100 wifi card

I've aetheros. Pretty stable but only from the beginning of this year,
with the latest kernel and madwifi cvs version

> 2) Suspend to disk/RAM (lid open/close and/or Fn keys)

works with ACPI (latest kernel), I also use tpb for buttons and xosd.
All I need. On FC2 I also used tp-scroll, quite handy, but I did not
reinstalled it since since I switched to FC3, yet.

> 3) Battery life

Uh, never tested, because when I need it, I plug the undermount extra
battery and I have at least 9 hours of life (never arrived to an end)

> 4) External monitor support

A pain. You have to restart X with the monitor plugged in otherwise you
get corruption on the upper top (I put some older post on this list).
There are patches for having twin display, but I do not miss it so I
never tried them.

All in all, very happy but you have to use the latest versions (and for
some packages e.g. firefox or thunderbird the development ones)

Hope it helps

B.