[ltp] Re: Re: help in troubleshooting ACPI drain with 2.6.10 please

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:05:40 -0700

André Wyrwa wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>>That is quite obvious :) I was trying to say that sometimes you get
>>>"module in use" upon modprobe -r for modules which do NOT show any "used
>>>by" info in lsmod.
>>
>>I think that means that some module messed up the reference counting, and
>>its time for a reboot :-)
>

> It might also be rased by some userspace process that uses the according
> device.

Correct.  I had a module that listed 7 calls to it.  I had to check why
and found out that a user program had 6 links into the module.  Don't
know why, but it looks like poor programming practices and that the
first call to use the module was not released like it should be, by the
programmer and not by a clean up routine.

James McKenzie