[ltp] OSD with tpb not working with T30, xorg, gentoo & KDE

Shaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:34:37 -0800

Hello All,

I recently switched over to Gentoo from Mandrake on my Thinkpad.
Ever since the switch, I haven't been able to get tpb to function properly.
It hangs while trying to update the onscreen volume display- but only after a
kde app has been loaded. To reproduce, all I have to do  is start tpb,
then start konq. or konsole, and then press the volume thinkpad key.
The volume is raised, but the onscreen display never appears, and tpb
no longer responds to keypresses.  I've filed a bug-report on the tpb
page of savannah.org @
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=11342.
However, I'm fairly convinced that the bug isn't with tpb itself,
perhaps something with xosd or xorg or my setup. (see the bug report
for more information)  I have heard of plenty of people with similar
installations without this problem which confuses me further.  Has
anyone else had similar problems?  Any ideas?

I'm cross-posting this- sorry to all of you (myself included:) who
get this posting more than once.

Thanks,
Shaw