[ltp] t40 apm suspend --- strange problem

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:01:40 +0100

Franz Rühmland wrote:
> Bob Alexander wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I left the machine in the suspended state overnight to
>> measure the power consumptions (13% of the high capacity battery in 14
>> hours).
>>
>> Further testing seems to indicate that if I suspend and a few minute
>> after resume, all works fine but if the machine stays suspended for
>> longer times the resume will be broken.
>

> I've just discovered the same thing. I usually leave my T41 suspended to
> RAM (APM) when not using it and up until recently it have been working
> fine.
>
> Recently I made some changes to my kernel config (2.6.9-gentoo-r1), and
>  (if memory serves me right) I started noticing the same behaviour as you.
>
> The changes were: PCMCIA changed to module instead of compiled in,
> parallel port support, LVM support and Bluetooth support.
>
> I will now be testing my old config to see if it works OK. Then I will
> start troubleshooting the new stuff.
>
> Also, have you found a minimum time in suspension after it reliably
> fails to come back up?
>
> /
> Franz

Dear Franz,
I am sorry for you but for me it's better to be in two :)

My solution for now is to use ACPI with swsusp2 which will always resume
correctly and solve the horrendous power drain of the ACPI suspend to RAM.

I did not find the minimum time for the wrong state to kick in. I would
say that a suspend of around 30 mins works and over that it doesn't but
its only a vague impression.

I hope I did not mess around with configs too much but my 2.6.9 config
should have the following:

PCMCIA=y
YENTA=y
#CONFIG_PARPORT is not set <- do not use LPT1
CONFIG_MD=y -> need all this to use my LVM partitions; NB My root
partition is NOT on an LVM volume
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=m
CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
# CONFIG_MD_RAID10 is not set
# CONFIG_MD_RAID5 is not set
#CONFIG_BT is not set <- do not use bluetooth

Let me know if I can help you out in the debugging !!!

Take care,
Bob
# CONFIG_MD_RAID6 is not set
# CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH is not set