[ltp] Question on swsusp2 and other ACPI trivia

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:47:22 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Bob Alexander wrote:

> To solve my 2.6.9-2.6.10-ACPI-APM deadlock I have now found the
> following sensible solution:
>
> Patched a 2.6.10 with the external swsusp2 and enabled ACPI including
> the builtin ibm_acpi.
>
> After setting up a few things I am delighted to be able to suspend to
> HDD (let's call it hibernate ?) on my /dev/hda6 swap partition very
> reliably.
>
> Have a few questions though:
>
> 1) If I hibernate while pinging a site, upon resuming the ping does not
> progress. If I interrupt it and relaunch all is fine. Normal ?

I'm guessing that something in the swsusp2 code (or maybe a script)
unloads the modules necessary to do this (those that support your
hardware?), and ping only does something that requires their presence (such
as opening a socket) when it is called.  Apparently transmitting data
through a (dead?) socket does not qualify.

ARIES:  The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb
watermelon in your colon.  Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then
give a hickey to Meryl Streep.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_