[ltp] 100GB disk in Thinkpad

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:07:35 -0500

** Reply to message from Rich Smrcina <rsmrcina@wi.rr.com> on Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:07:23 -0600

Hello,

I'm watching.  (I put an aftermarket 60GB into my Thinkpad A21p, so it
can be done.)

There are a couple of things to be careful of:
1)  Make sure the power consumption is the same as, or less than, that of
the drive you're replacing.  That way you won't stress the power supply.
2)  Make sure the heat dissipation is the same as, or less than, that of
the drive you're replacing.  That way you won't risk overheating.
3)  Also, be aware that, although they're now rare, there were two
form factors for 2-1/2 inch drives - 12 mm thick and 9.5 mm thick.
The one you want is 9.5mm
4)  Also, it's worth Googling up the drive you're considering.  Every
now and then there's a turkey design, which will be cheap but leave
you frustrated (e.g. the last I recall was a 3.5 inch drive a year
or more back that had a very bad reputation - it turned out to be
a batch of bad capacitors, I think.)

All the specs are readily available from the manufacturers' sites.

Good luck.

Don A

--
Donald B. Altman