[ltp] T41: garbled screen

Paul Bolle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:21:59 +0100

0) My first post to this list.

1) I recently purchased a T41 (model 2373-9FG) with a 14.1" 1400x1050
screen and (as far as I know) an ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 graphics card.

2) On this T41 I installed Fedora Core 3. I do not dual boot with some
other OS.

3) Every now and then the screen of this T41 is totally garbled. This
happens directly after starting this T41: even the BIOS splash screen is
unreadable! I more or less have to guess what is happening when it boots
and log in and do a poweroff "blind". The screen can stay garbled for a
number of boots and then (seemingly random) it will be just fine right
from the start. Quite annoying, to put it mildly.

4) Has anyone experienced similar problems?

5) Is there any chance this is not a hardware problem (I'm guessing a
faulty graphics card) but somehow related to my Fedora Core 3 setup?

Kind regards,

Paul Bolle