[ltp] cd drive speed

ash linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:43:52 +1100

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 17:51 -0500, Matt Graham wrote:

> cdparanoia is built for quality, not speed.  Use -Z to disable
> cdparanoia's paranoiac error-checking, and it'll go faster.  The
> resulting .wav files may be of lower quality, though.  ISTR hearing
> something about "cdparanoia doesn't use DMA on drives that support it
> under kernel 2.4", but that may be inaccurate.  I never researched that
> because I ripped my CD collection years ago.  HTH anyway,

I found that when ripping cds under a 2.6 kernel using cdparanoia in
grip, it would rip maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of most files before lame got a hold
of them - I still haven't got around to ripping those cds properly.
Those that I ripped under my partition with a 2.4 kernel (again, using
cdparanoia) came out fine. Under 2.6, I recently tried using cdparanoia
(grip) as the ripper in grip and haven't had any problems - maybe this
is a special build for grip...? Agree with the speed, though - sure, it
may take three times as long, but you'll find that even your most
heavily scratched discs should be ripped without any errors. It'll also
beat (almost) all copy protection on discs...

cheers,
ash.

--
ash <ash@kgbspy.org>