[ltp] Re: Re: help in troubleshooting ACPI drain with 2.6.10 please

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:24:44 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Jan-Hendrik Benter wrote:

> > > result already gives the final value:
> > >
> > > result = (after - before) * 3600 / seconds
> >
> >                             ^      ^
> >
> > Those are where the error is.  You're computing "result = energy * 1/time"
> > when power is "energy / time".  It needs to be "result = (after - before) /
> > (seconds / 3600)".

Yep, x * 1/y = x/y.  Oopsie.

> I am sorry for starting all this, because I got messed up with unit labels
> (because this is not helping to solve the real problem), but, isn't
>
> 1 / (seconds / 3600 ) <=> 1 * 3600 / seconds

That's fine, I agree with that.  Now, why do we get different answers?

      He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
        and he who dares not is a slave.  -Sir William Drummond