[ltp] installing a mini pci g card in a thinkpad t23

UncleDuke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:17:44 -0500

> I've found a few references to this online and a few on usenet.  Has
> anyone installed a minipci card like a ipw2200-based card in a
> thinkpad t23 that did not have a card installed initially?  I have a
> t23 that has a slot but I gather it has no antennas built in.  I found
> antennas online (ebay) and they are pretty cheap.  I think the
> antennas run up through the screen sides but one of the ebay antennas
> claim you can install within the mini-pci slot and not require laptop
> dis-assembly.

The antenna is two wires that dipole inside the LCD panel. The LCD panel is
relatively simple to disassemble. Download the Hardware Maint Manual from
the IBM website, it will give you step by step instructions for R&R of the
antenna. The internal cheap-o antenna won't give you too much range(maybe to
the next room if you're lucky). I was going to do the same thing with my
T23, but got lazy and bought a Proxim ORiCONO Gold A/B/G pcmcia card and
used madwifi.

Greg