[ltp] T41: garbled screen

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:20:13 -0500

On Saturday 08 January 2005 08:14 am, Carl-Fredrik Enell wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would also like to know what that garble looks like. I experienced
> the same problem when I first got my T41p one year ago (some of you on the
> list might remember my questions at that time).
>
> My "garble" looked the same in Linux and in WinXP (however, it did not
> appear in Windo$ unless the colour depth was increased from 16 to 24 bits)
> - green lines or streaks all over the screen. I ran a memory test which
> revealed that the graphics memory was broken. The repair took three weeks
> of waiting for a new motherboard (which had to be ordered from the
> factory).
>
> Regards
> Carl-Fredrik

I do not have the original post only the information above but there is
another possibility.

My box is dual boot set to boot into Linux using Lilo for management as grub
does some awful things in this box . If I am in Windows and I desire to go to
Linux I MUST shut down and the reboot into Linux for the system to work
correctly. The video card must be powered down. If I do NOT do this and issue
a reboot command from Windows I am OK if I go back into Windows but if I let
the box boot automatically as it is set to do into Linux the screen WILL BE
garbled and unreadable.

Frank