[ltp] T41: garbled screen

Hamish Marson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:00:18 +0000

Paul Bolle wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 15:14 +0200, Carl-Fredrik Enell wrote:
>

>>I would also like to know what that garble looks like.
>>

>Did you already have a look here:
>http://bellet.info/photos/2003/Aug/10Aug18:10/ ? As I posted yesterday,
>the first two pictures (P8100002.JPG and P8100004.JPG) resemble my
>screen when it's garbled.

Hmm... Does you thinkpad screen go blank for no reason as well? Mine
did... And I was really annoyed that I had to remove all power, remove
the battery, then put it all back to get it working sometimes...
Eventually I tracked it down to a hardware fault. if I pressed down
(Reasonably hard) just above the keyboard on the left hand side (Between
the screen hinge & the top keys) the display would come back... But
often with garbage on it just like you're seeing.

To me it looked like there may have been a loose connector somewhere...
But I'm not sure if the graphics are on a daughter board or the
systemboard...

Anyway...

I sent my laptop (R50p) in a week before xmas to IBM to be fixed. It
took them 3 weeks to find the fault, and now they're waiting for a new
systemboard... Sadly it did take 3 weeks and a complaint to a CRM before
they appeared to find the fault... Despite me saying that the system
only did this under use, they seemed to leave it on test (On a bench?
Not sure, but they did mention pushing the palm reast for some reason.
Not quite sure how my fault got translated into that).

Now just waiting for it to some back...

>Kind regards,
>

>Paul

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0501-1, 07/01/2005
Tested on: 8/01/2005 5:00:21 p.m.