[ltp] fingerprint reader & linux

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 08 Jan 2005 12:05:49 -0500

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 13:25 -0800, Mao gong wrote:
> I got a T42 with fingerprint reader. I want to install WinXP and Linux
> as the same time. Don't know it's OK or not with the extra chips for
> fingerprint reader. Also are there any support for this IBM
> fingerprint reader?

I have the same model with WinXP and FC3 dual-boot and the fingerprint
reader doesn't affect anything.  I use the fingerprint reader as my BIOS
password which requires you to scan your finger before the boot loader
is loaded.  You have to set this up in Windows, but the program to set
it up runs automatically the first time you boot.
The fingerprint scanner also replaces your Windows password.  There is a
driver for Windows that checks with the BIOS to see if a fingerprint was
used to authenticate when the machine was booted.  If the fingerprint is
linked to a Windows account, you don't need to enter your Windows
password.  However, there is no driver for Linux so you have to enter
your username and password as usual to log in.

-m