[ltp] KDE3.3 and running fan

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:09:43 -0500

On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 01:05 +0100, Moritz Karbach wrote:
> Hi Roland,
>=20
> > I don't know about KDE I'm not using it anymore but why don't you
> > monitor the temperature of your harddisk and cpu? If their themperature
> > stays reasonably low, you know that it has to be the GPU - don't know
> > how to monitor this though ;-(
>=20
> Indeed, the CPU temperature seems to be a problem. It's permanently about=
=20
> 42=C2=B0C. I tried to enable all powersaving features, that is CPU thrott=
ling to=20
> 87%, power profile 'powersafe' (CPU goes from 1500MHz down to 500MHz). If=
 I=20
> do so, the temperature drops to 36=C2=B0C, fan still running.

One thing you can check, are you running "DynamicClocks"?  Check the
"Device" section of your xorg.conf for the line:
Option "DynamicClocks" "true"
If it's not there, try adding it. This allows the clock speed to
dynamically change in response to load.  When I added this, my R32
became much quieter.

-m