[ltp] SOLVED: APM not waking up after prolonged sleep to RAM

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:29:20 +0100

Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote:
> Hei Bob,
>=20
>=20
>>In the config->power section, towards the bottom, there was a setting=20
>>which sounds like "Hibernate after suspend expires -> Enabled". I just=20
>>put this as Disabled and my TP woke up this morning like a young 6 years =

>>old on Sunday morning :)
>>
>>This is quite logical since something must have happened between a short =

>>and long sleep. It was this suspend timer expiring.
>=20
>=20
> did you enable hibernation with APM at all? Did you create a hibernation
> file on a fat partition or a hibernation partition?
>=20
> And if you did...did your notebook not resume from hibernation after it
> didn't wake up from sleep?
>=20
> I'm trying to find out if this is really a bug/misbehaviour or just
> logical behaviour.
>=20
> Andr=E9.
>=20

Ciao Andre',
at that point in time I was ONLY interested into sleep to RAM and=20
therefore did not configure any hibernation setup. So the machine went=20
to sleep and woke up with no problems after a short while. If I let more=20
time pass probably the BIOS triggered the hibernate attempt but that was=20
totally unconfigured and therefore the machine locked into some=20
neverland state ...

Now removing that setting from BIOS enables me to suspend to RAM for an=20
indefinite amount of time.

In parallell I have installed and configured swsusp2 which I now use to=20
hibernate on my swap partition and that works very very well and=20
therefore will seldom use the sleep to RAM anyomre.

Ciao,
Bob