[ltp] T42 Win XP RescueRecovery from CD hung

Florence Berbain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:55:59 +0100

ogjunk-linuxtp@yahoo.com wrote:

>I've set up 2 TPs with dual-boot (T40 with XP/RH9. and T42 with
>XP/FC3).  Both time the pre-loaded area was on the disk.  With TP40 it
>was at the beginning of the disk, and with the T42 it was at the end.
>
>Both times I used Partition Magic to resize partitions and create
>patitions with ext3.  I let Partition Magic do all the partitioning
>work, and so far things worked well.

Were you still able to boot from the IBM Recovery and Restore partition?
I'm asking because on my T42p, I installed Ubuntu linux, taking care not
to destroy the IBM Restore partition. Grub did create an entry for it in
menu.lst. However, I can't boot  from this entry (the system hangs when
I select it).

On a related note, I used Partition Magic to shrink the original WinXP
partition and format the free space to ext3 (so my linux partitions sit
between the WinXP partition at the beginnning of the disk and the
Restore partition at the end). But now Partition Magic says it lost the
drive letters, so I can't use it at the moment. Reinstalling PM didn't help.

During the linux install, when asked where I wanted to install grub, I
chose "MBR" (not knowing any better, basically).

And I just saw the following:
$ mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

$ fdisk -l
Cannot open /dev/hda

I have no experience with fdisk, but I guess this is not good, is it?

Otherwise, I can boot and work normally in WinXP and linux.

If anybody has experience on:
1. how to install linux in a way that still lets me boot the WinXP and
the Restore partition?
2. how to install linux so that Partition Magic still works?
I'd be very interested to hear from it.

Thanks,
Florence