[ltp] powernowd and KLaptop

Roland Bitterli linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:53:23 +0100

Hi Moritz

hey you seem to have a lot of problems with KDE, you should maybe change
the windowmanager ;-)

> Under KDE I can select three profiles in the KLaptop menue, and they seem to
> fix the cpu freq at:
> powersave: 500 MHz
> userspace: 1500 MHz
> performance: 1500 MHz (whats the difference to userspace btw?)

The difference between userspace and performance governor is that with
userspace you can fix the frequency "by hand" to whatever value you want
by a simple  "echo your_freq >
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq" or using some
scaling userspace progs (e.g. gtk-cpuspeedy).
Performance means simply maximum frequency.

In fact /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ contains quite a lot of
useful information about the scaling possibilities on your system.

cheers
roland