[ltp] T23, ibm-acpi and UltraBay hotswapping

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:30:04 +0100

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 22:06:13 -0500, David Tansey wrote:
> here are my docking/undocking scripts (and events/ files) -- got them
> somewhere online and only modified them slightly.

[...]

> hope that helps. i switched to hotswap because i was getting a lot of
> failed suspends/resumes after undocking. it has helped. i still
> sometimes get failed resumes, but very infrequently.

Thanks. I hope that I won't get any failed resumes.

> -david
>

> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 02:50 +0100, André Wyrwa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I just tried a kernel 2.6.10 with ACPI support and ibm-acpi, because I
> > > wanted to test UltraBay hotswapping on my T23. I ejected the DVD-ROM
> > > drive (after echo eject > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay and the UltrBay LED went
> > > off) and re-inserted it. Then I did mount /cdrom, the drive spins up,
> > > and the machine freezes.
> >
> > Did you use idectl or hdparm to unregister the device? Echoing eject
> > to /proc/acpi/ibm/bay is not enough, since it only tells the ThinkPads
> > ACPI interface that the drive is ready for being removed. Prior doing
> > this you should unregister the device at the systems IDE driver. To do
> > this, use idectl/hdparm.

No, I just followed the documentation in ibm-acpi.txt in the kernel
source and overlooked the reference to idectl. I thought this hdparm
stuff is obsolete now, thanks for the enlightenment. I just downloaded
the full ibm-acpi package and saw the scripts in it.

At the end of ibm-acpi.txt is a note that UltraBay floppy support is
still on the TODO list. This would be bad, since I want to swap DVD-ROM
and floppy. However, after I inserted the floppy drive, I was able to
use it. Does anyone know why this item is on the TODO list?

Regards,
Tino