[ltp] Projected external display truncated.

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:01:57 -0500

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 09:07 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> morpheus wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 16:35 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> >
> >>Problem is that whatever resolution set in GNOME for the LCD display,
> >>the image sent to the projector appears to be cut, missinh 1/5th or so
> >>if the left region and the top GNOME panel.
> >>

> > Are you using xinerama, clone or MergedFB?

Xinerama is an option allowing you to have one desktop that "spans" both
your internal and external display.  I use it and it works great.  The
nice thing is you can display your presentation, movie, etc. on the
external display while the internal display can be used for other
things.  It also doubles your screen real estate, so if you have your
laptop next to an external monitor, it's nice to use xinerama.

Clone basically "clones" your internal display onto the external
display...whatever you see on one display you see on the other, with the
exception of moving video, which can only be displayed on one or the
other.  Which one is controlled by the "OverlayOnCRT2" option.

MergedFB allows you to share a single framebuffer across two screens.
This apparently has some advantages over using xinerama, though I've
never used it.  The big disadvantage is that both screens need to be the
same resolution, otherwise the smaller one has to "scroll" around to see
all the content.

Try typing man radeon to see how to set up these options.

-m