[ltp] recommendation on external DVD reader/writer

Dragos Vingarzan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:52:13 +0100

1.Philips  JackRabbit JR4DVDRW
2. USB 2.0
3. no
4. DVD+RW 4x
    CD-R 16x
5.
(?) about 100Euro in stores 2 years warranty
(+) works nicely with SuSE Professional 90 - it worked just as
connected, modules were installed by default :), using k3b to burn
(-)Only writes DVD+ and only up to 4x, so not extremely fast...
(-) also has external 12V 2.0 A DC adapter => not so good on the road
(+) remote control
(+) audio out (headphones+line out+digital)
(+) video out (S-Video + CVBS)
(+) works stand-alone - super nice - as DVD/VCD/SCVD/MP3 Player, also
sees pictures on discs

If you don't hurry to much and you like a lot of features this is for you.

Cheers!

jcms wrote:

>  Very simple.
>  I own a Thinkpad A30P running SuSE Professional 92. and I'm shopping for an external DVD/CD reader/writer.
>  I'm looking for comments such as recommendations and feedback based on you own experience: positives and negatives (what should I avoid), etc.
>

>  1. model
>
>  2. connection type
>      ieee1394 [  ]
>      USB [  ]
>
>  3. double layer
>      yes [   ]
>      no   [   ]
>
>  4. media
>         manufacturer
>         specs
>
>  5. comments
>

>  Any feedback is appreciated.
>
>   J.C.

Dragos Vingarzan
FOKUS/MOBIS
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31
10589 Berlin
Germany

Phone   +49 (0)30 - 3463 - 7242
Mobile  +49 (0)162 - 153 - 0 - 154

eMail   vingarzan@fokus.fraunhofer.de
Web     www.fokus.fraunhofer.de
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.