[ltp] Bootable live CD on 600/600X?

Ayaz Ahmed Khan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:23:36 +0500 (PKT)

/dev/rob0 typed:

> Has anyone had success with a Linux bootable live CD on a Thinkpad 600
> or 600X? I tried Ubuntu's live CD, every boot option I could see, all
> to no avail. Burned 2 copies of it, checked md5sums, same result with
> both copies: isolinux boots, but kernel crashes early in trying to
> load. Ubuntu's install CD, OTOH, works fine. (This is Warty, BTW.)
>
> Slackware 10: similar. Install CD works, live CD crashes, but at a
> different point. It said something like "attempt to read beyond end of
> device," which I thought sounded like a media error. So I put it in
> another laptop (NEC) and booted up fine.
>
> I've not tried Knoppix nor any of the many other possible choices. If
> I'm unaware of a hardware issue, maybe I can get one of the above
> working after I find out. Thanks.

On my T21, I can't run Knoppix 3.4 at all.  Knoppix 3.1, which is the
other of the only two GNU/Linux live CDs I have tried on my laptop,
runs without a single glitch.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan, unixforge.org/~ayaz/

"An expert is a person who avoids the small errors while sweeping
 on to the grand fallacy."
              -- Weinberg's Principle