[ltp] usb problems with Fedora Core 3

Xavier Gonzalez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:56:03 -0500

while the situation has improved under FC3, given that it actually
mounts the usbstick automatically under the /media/ files, I still
have some issues. It seems that after rebooting or starting the
computer, the usbstick can only be mounted and unmounted as many times
as possible if and only if it stays plugged into the usb port.

However, if I try to unmount, then physically remove the drive and
then plug the device again, the computer will not even acknowledge its
presence. I run lsmod to see if usb-storage is being listed and it is
not. I try to probe for it with modprobe usb-storage, and still
nothing.

I have a IBM-T42 laptop, and the usbstick is a 2 year old 128 MB
SanDisk usb-pen-stick. As I said, it seems to work great only when it
is first plug into the port and mounted/unmounted. However, as soon as
I remove the stick and try to put back again it won't even read it.

Any helpfull input will be much appreciated.

--X