CMOS battery replacement on Thinkpad 600 series (Re: [ltp] Bootable live CD on 600/600X?)

jacob Klitmøller linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:33:25 +0100

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi<br>
The Battery number is 2025.<br>
R.<br>
Jacob Klitm&oslash;ller<br>
Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:34:19 +0100
jacob Klitm&oslash;ller <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:jacobk@stofanet.dk">&lt;jacobk@stofanet.dk&gt;</a> wrote:

  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Oh, one more question slightly OT: the 192 error suggests either dead
CMOS battery or fan. The battery's only about US$7 from IBM. Is that a
big deal to try to replace? I figure it's worth that much to try.
      </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">The CMOS battery is very easy to replace (have done it a few times with
no problems)!!
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
The CMOS battery in this model is in the slot on
the bottom of the laptop with the RAM.  Replacing it is trivial if you can
get one cheap from IBM.

In an emergency, you can get the battery from just about anywhere that
sells lithium batteries.  The CMOS battery is a standard size lithium
battery (I forget the number, but it's printed on the battery) in a custom
heatshrink case. This option requires a little more work, as you have to
attach wires to the battery to hook it up to the laptop.  I had to do this
when a Thinkpad 600 I had given to some relatives suddenly
wouldn't boot (CMOS battery error) and they needed their computer to work
right away.

  </pre>