[ltp] Re: Re: Re: help in troubleshooting ACPI drain with 2.6.10 please

Uwe Walter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:36:50 +0100

Hi Bob.

On Do, 2005-01-13 at 13:31 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> Uwe Walter wrote:
> obtain different FPS but also the faint high-pitched tone you hear from
> the fan exhaust grill on the left of your TP will change.

Indeed. ;)

> PS Wonder if this pitch we hear is a proof that the radeon chip is still
> horribly working even during ACPI sleep.

Don't worry about that. I don't think, this is the case.

In terms of figures, the 316mW my T42p is using during ACPI S3 translate
to roughly some 10% of the design capacity of the 9-cell battery per
day.

I haven't compared this to APM sleep yet (has anybody?), but it seems
quite acceptable.

As you say, SOMEthing is powered up, but this MUST be the case, since at
least RAM is online during sleep. Often, these high-pitched tones come
from power circuitry. And there are certainly differences from ACPI to
APM, which might explain, that the tone isn't audible there (or is it,
too? haven't checked either last time).

It might be more of an psychological thing: We hear something is active
and get the impression, the TP could spare more power. If this is the
objective, hibernation might be the more appropriate option.

For me, I hope S3 will be fine (as soon as ATI repairs the wakeup issue
with active DRI in fglrx 3.14.x, until that I have to stick with APM
when I want to use suspend).

Greetings, UW(e)