[ltp] anti-aliased fonts for a 15" 1600x1200 display

Francois Maltey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
14 Jan 2005 20:47:33 +0100

Hello,

I was not sure of my choice when I buy a T42 with a 15" 1600x1200 display.
My previous laptop was a 15" 1024x732 display, and I found it very pretty.

Two months after, I find very fine this display.

I use a debian testing with gnome.
firefox and xterm have anti aliased fonts out of the gnome package.

Theses fonts are much more pretty than the normal fonts.
A little x letter is two lines, not a set of pixels.

With standard fonts there is often the problem of the size choice.
One font is too little and the next one too big. With antialiased font
there is a large choice of size. Almost every choices are possibles.

Standard xemacs and standard gnu-emacs can't have theses fonts.

Of corse I can run emacs with antialiased fonts in a xterm,
but I loose a lot of possibility :
the mouse becomes silly, there is no meta-key in an xterm, only an esc one...

So I test a very new extension of the beta XEmacs, by cvs.
I download it,
run ./configure with tree options I get from the beta-xemacs mailing list,
run apt-get install ????-dev when ./configure complains about missing lib.
run make all ; make install
download XEmacs packages and unzip/untar in /usr/local
comments 2 or 3 lines of my ~/.emacs, now my ~/.xemacs/init.el

The test isn't finish, but the result is very pretty !
I'm quite sure I'll go to use xemacs for my work,
even if this mail comes from my xterm-gnuemacs.

I don't find anti aliasing possibility in the gnu-emacs project.

Francois