[ltp] Bootable live CD on 600/600X?

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:39:52 -0500

** Reply to message from Ayaz Ahmed Khan <ayaz-khan@pk.netsolir.com> on Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:58:13 +0500 (PKT)

Hi Ahmed,

> I re-tried booting with
> Knoppix, but got a number of ``cloop'' errors and a read error in
> reading /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.  They appeared just after Knoppix was
> preparing to start the X -- all my hardware had been properly detected --
> and kept on coming continually.  I suspect Knoppix is having
> difficulties in loading X and will investiage the matter further.

The cloop error messages sound familiar.
>From the bottom of the cheatcodes page:

  If your KNOPPIX CD makes strange noises during boot, or you see
  frequent errors like "cloop: read error", or programs on your KDE
  desktop keep crashing randomly, then your CD image is probably defective
  or incomplete, or your CD-burner created a defective CD due to wrong
  writing speed or bad media. This is the most common error reported.
  Please boot with "knoppix testcd" to check if the CD is OK, and/or even
  better, verify the MD5 checksums that are present on the mirrors before
  writing the CD. In some cases, defective IDE controllers cause this
  error if you have DMA enabled. Also, please read the KNOPPIX-FAQ.

Good Luck,

Don A

--
Donald B. Altman