[ltp] Re-install default OS on a specified partition disk

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:23:54 +1300

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:32, Guillermo Latorre wrote:
> > IIRC, Windows will install only if a partition its fdisk utility can
> > see exsits.  It won't touch any of the existing Linux partitions.
I would not make that assumption!!!
I installed Linux on to all the disk except the Windows backup area and then
wanted to re-install Windows. I made a 5GB primary partition for Windows as a
labeled as FAT32, but without a filesystem, and proceeded to extract Windows
using the "Restore to Factory ..." icon. The install process said that the
C/H/S on my disk was incorrect and offered to change it. Stupidly I said
'Yes', The effect of that was that the whole disk setup was changed and the
Linux partitions were altered so that they overlapped by one sector. I
checked before going further, and realized that it was going to be 'one of
those days'.

So the moral of the story is BACK-UP everything important!!!

> > Things may have changed since I last played with Windows, but that was
> > pretty much the way things used to be then.
>
> Hello!!
>
> well, now I have a primary NTFS partition as hda1, and my logic Linux
> partition, where I have my Debian running fine.
>
> I think I only have to do this: reboot the computer and press de Access
> IBM Key, go to Utilities and double-click on Installation Program. Or
> not?
> When I do the double-click on that utility icon, then the Bios Menu
> appears, with the Config, Date, Restart... sub-menus.
>
> So I can't enter to the Installation program, beacause I exit from the
> BIOS Menu and then the computer restarts, loading the LILO menu.
>
> I think that double-click shouldn't carry me to the BIOS menu...
>
> Any idea?
Try making the partition for windows the first one ( /dev/hda1 ) and make sure
it has a FAT - probably 32 iirc - label. Windows changes it to a NTFS
partition as part of the install process.

--
Sincerely etc.,
Christopher Sawtell