[ltp] Re: R50e ACPI/Resolution/CDROM

Borislav Deianov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:55:59 -0800

Hi Diego,

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 04:26:04 +0000 (UTC) Diego Escalante Urrelo <diego@dndweb.net> wrote:

> - After the installation of Debian, the CD rom drive started to work
> bad. In the Windows bundled with the laptop and in Debian. I can't burn
> or read large files (large is greater than 3kb :().

Sounds like a hardware problem, your CD drive might have gone bad,
unrelated to the Debian install.

> - ACPI works almost flawlessly, except for the fact that when i suspend
> and "unsuspend" the LCD remains black, i searched in google for a
> solution but only found a web site in chesch republic that i (of
> course) didn't understand. If anyone had any success with this, i would
> like to know please.

You might want to ask on the acpi-devel list about this:

> - XFree 4.3.xx (lastest in debian sid) doesnt seem to allow me to get a
> resolution higher than 1024 x 768, a friend of mine has an IBM with
> 1280 x 1024 (in debian too). I don't know much about LCD, as far as i
> googled the LCD's can handle high resolutions and doesn't always need
> the Hsync and Vsync, this friend didn't specified them and as i said,
> he got a very high resolution (i saw it in person, it's not a joke or
> something).

The resoltion of LCD screens is fixed and you can't change it via
Hsync and Vsync like you can with CRTs. Yours is probably 1024x768
(looking at the R50e models on IBMs site, all of them have 1024x768
screens). Lower resolutions can be faked by interpolation but they
don't look very good.

By the way, do you mind sending me a copy of your DSDT (ACPI
firmware)? Just copy /proc/acpi/dsdt to a file, gzip it and send it as
an attachment. I don't have that one yet and would like to support it
in ibm-acpi (http://ibm-acpi.sf.net).

Good luck,
Boris