[ltp] WiFi on T42 (eth1 --> AP connection problems)

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:10:49 -0500

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 17:27 -0800, ogjunk-linuxtp@yahoo.com wrote:
> # traceroute 66.94.234.13 -i eth1
> traceroute to 66.94.234.13 (66.94.234.13), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
>  1  192.168.0.3 (192.168.0.3)  3000.079 ms !H  3000.138 ms !H  3000.410
> ms !H

<-- SNIP -->

> I'm not sure why I'm getting these errors... but if I ping and
> traceroute as root, I don't get them, nor the weird/wrong mention of
>  .0.2 IP, when I'm trying to go through eth1 (.0.3)):
Yes, you have to be root to use the -I option in ping or the -i option
in traceroute.
OK, based on your responses, we'll have to do some guessing.  I have
generally found that connectivity problems between APs and ICs are
caused by bad encryption settings.
Your encryption key set in your iwconfig looks funny (sequential, and no
letters).  In Linux, you have to enter the encryption key in
hexadecimal.  Some access points allow you to set a "keyword" or
"passphrase" for the encryption, but this is just hashed into a
hexadecimal code which is the actual key.  Linux does not support
entering the "keyword" or "passphrase", you must enter the hexadecimal
key directly.  Your admin interface for the AP should allow you to see
the hexadecimal key, or if not it should allow you to enter it directly
in hexadecimal.  If so, enter a new one and then enter a matching one
for eth1 as follows:
# iwconfig eth1 enc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Where xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is your key in Hexadecimal.

Also, check your encryption method on the AP...your linux driver
probably does not support WPA, so make sure you use WEP (128-bit is
best).

If you still can't get it to work, for testing purposes turn off
encryption on the AP and on eth1 and see if you can ping the AP.
# iwconfig eth1 enc off

Good luck!

-m