[ltp] Re: video output on R40

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:41:09 +0100

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 04:17:41PM -0800, Borislav Deianov wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:10:32 +0000 (UTC) thomas.marquart@astro.uu.se wrote:
> > hello,
>
> > I just upgraded my R40 to kernel 2.6.10 that has the ibm-acpi things in
> > it which work fine (suspent to ram and disk finally works).
> > The problem which appeared is that Fn-F7 no longer switches video modes,
> > which in necessary to get a non-truncated image on an external device
> > like a beamer/projector. http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/ states in the
> > REAME that echo video_switch > /proc/acpi/ibm/video should do the same,
> > but it doesn't, neither work the other /proc/acpi/ibm/video commands.
>
> Well, video_switch does do the same thing as Fn-F7 - nothing in your
> case... Don't know what to tell you except that it's a common
> problem. Does Fn-F7 / video_switch work on the console? If so a (not
> very convenient) workaround might be to quit X, switch to the
> projector, then start X again.
>
> Hmm, you say Fn-F7 no longer works. What is the last combination of
> kernel / X / ibm-acpi that worked? It might help a lot if you could
> narrow down where it broke.

there is no such combination - I had not looked for news concerning my
R40 in a long time and had not used the ibm-acpi patches at all. But
when I heard of them in the 2.6.10 kernel, it was worth to once more
leave the debian supplied kernel (2.6.8 from sarge) behind. Fn-F7 had
always (i.e. since May 2003) worked, with different kernels, both
vanilla, -mm and debian ones, both 2.4 and 2.6. The 2.6.10 is the first
that the key does not work with.
I cannot remember the X version in the beginning, but it's Xfree86 4.3.0
in debian sarge for a long time, although there has been an upgrade
(same version of X) recently.
Anyway, the ability to finally suspend to disk and ram surpasses
this glitch by far, so thanks a lot :-)

I will try the console-workaround as soon as I get my hands on the
projector next time...

cheers
thomas
--