[ltp] Re: Desperate to get my PCMCIA GPRS working please :(

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:09:29 +0100

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2005, Bob Alexander wrote:
>
>>I had managed to configure my PCMCIA GPRS to work with wvdial.
>>
>>Now for reasons I do not understand upon insertion of the card NOTHING
>>seems to happen (for instance with tail -f /var/log/syslog) !!!!
>

> OK, that looks like the cause of your problems.
>
> Do you have PCMCIA and Cardbus support compiled into your kernel?
> That would be the 'cs' and 'ds' modules, if not built-in.
>
> Are you running the cardmgr tools from the PCMCIA tools package?
>
> What does cardinfo say when you have the card inserted?
> Can it see the card?
>
>     Daniel

Daniel thank you so much for trying to help.

1) The PCMCIA and Cardbus support are compiled into my 2.6.10 kernel
with the following options:
#
# PCCARD (PCMCIA/CardBus) support
#
CONFIG_PCCARD=y
# CONFIG_PCMCIA_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_PCMCIA_OBSOLETE is not set
CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_CARDBUS=y

BTW What are card bridges ? I only have YENTA=y defined

2) No I am not running cardmgr from the pcmcia-cs packages since I am
running the hotplug system. This is what the page from pcmcia-cs says:

"Since version 2.4 (and later) kernels have their own drivers, they can
be built with their own PCMCIA support. Nevertheless, this package or
the hotplug package is still required to load and unload drivers on demand."

The card worked. Could it be that a hotplug or udev package update broke
something ? How could I debug this ?

TIA,
Bob