[ltp] Any hope for Radeon M6 LY?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:51:31 -0500

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:28:34 -0500
Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:

> although you will need an upgraded drm as well if you want to use
> hyperz (you'll also need to enable hyperz in your .drirc).  For tiling
> you'll have to apply the tiling patches and upgrade all three (xorg,
> mesa, drm).

Just to put some sort of benchmark here.  I compiled Mesa CVS and DRM cvs.
 and plugged the new radeon_dri.so and radeon.ko/drm.ko modules into the
kernel and xorg that ships with Fedora Core 3.

Thinkpad X22 (P3/800, radeon chipset as in message title)

These are from glxgears, default window size (300x300), 1024x768x16
scrwwn:

Original:  386 FPS

CVS DRM / Mesa, no hyperz:  388 FPS

CVS DRM / Mesa, hyperz enabled:  780 FPS

I enabled hyperz using the driconf utility from here:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriConf

How much of a performance increase would come of recompiling xorg (which
is the most painful of the set to build :) )

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/