[ltp] Any hope for Radeon M6 LY?

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:58:59 -0500

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:51:31 -0500, Charles E Taylor IV
<tomalek@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:28:34 -0500
> Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > although you will need an upgraded drm as well if you want to use
> > hyperz (you'll also need to enable hyperz in your .drirc).  For tiling
> > you'll have to apply the tiling patches and upgrade all three (xorg,
> > mesa, drm).
>
> Just to put some sort of benchmark here.  I compiled Mesa CVS and DRM cvs.
>  and plugged the new radeon_dri.so and radeon.ko/drm.ko modules into the
> kernel and xorg that ships with Fedora Core 3.
>
> Thinkpad X22 (P3/800, radeon chipset as in message title)
>
> These are from glxgears, default window size (300x300), 1024x768x16
> scrwwn:
>
> Original:  386 FPS
>
> CVS DRM / Mesa, no hyperz:  388 FPS
>
> CVS DRM / Mesa, hyperz enabled:  780 FPS
>
> I enabled hyperz using the driconf utility from here:
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriConf
>
> How much of a performance increase would come of recompiling xorg (which
> is the most painful of the set to build :) )

Not a whole lot at the moment.  Xorg handles just about everything but
3d.  One thing that will give you a nice boost is tiled framebuffer
which still exists as a set of patches to xorg, mesa and drm.
Patches:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=dri-devel&m=110600094725235&w=2
full thread:

Alex