[ltp] Screen setting ?

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:22:36 +0200

--76DTJ5CE0DCVQemd

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:58:52AM +0100, Emmanuel Doguet wrote:
> What are your screen setting for LCD Display ? (Dpi, fonts...) I'm use
> now a Fedora Core 3 and the screen is not good as Windows XP.

My fonts look nicer on Linux than on WinXP.
 - dpi =3D 100
 - subpixel rendering enabled in /etc/fonts/local.conf
 - autohinting disabled in /etc/fonts/local.conf
 - msttcorefonts installed (I mostly use Verdana)

One big catch is that if you enable autohinting, fonts become blurry.

I use Ubuntu (and, before that, Debian), so if you do not find
/etc/fonts/local.conf, look at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  The relevant bits
are:

  <!-- enable subpixel rendering -->
  <match target=3D"font">
    <test qual=3D"all" name=3D"rgba">
      <const>unknown</const>
    </test>
  </match>

  <!-- disable autohinting -->
  <match target=3D"font">
    <edit name=3D"autohint" mode=3D"assign">
      <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.
                -- Norm Schryer

--76DTJ5CE0DCVQemd

--76DTJ5CE0DCVQemd--