[ltp] thinkpad 600E hard disk failure - need replacement advice

/dev/rob0 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:42:20 -0600

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 12:55, SOTL wrote:
> > One thing which might be worthy of note is that the plastic cover
> > for the drive bay differs for 9mm and 12mm drives. The little tab
> > which goes in is thicker for the 9mm drives. I have 2 type 2645
> > machines, one of which had a 9mm, the other 12mm. I just keep the
> > cover with the appropriate drive.
> >
> > If your new drive is of the other form factor you might consider
> > ordering a drive bay cover to fit it. Of course if you're going
> > from a 12mm to a 9mm, your cover will fit, but it won't hold the
> > drive in place. Maybe try a little bit of rubber to pad it?
>
> Not knowing that there are 2 sizes I purchased a 9MM to replace a 12
> MM for a A30P.
> Fortunately the 9MM fits perfectly including cover.

I don't think you understand. That is what I said, more or less. If I
were you, however, I would worry about whether or not the drive was
adequately protected against jiggling about inside the compartment.

9 < 12, so of course it fits. The bay covers shipped with the 9mm
drives (600X) had a thicker tab. I'll try to draw it in ASCII (viewing
this with a fixed-size font is recommended):

Left side view, drive bay cover, 12mm form factor:
________________
^tab     ======|
         =====/
         ====/
        -===/
(The left side being the user's left, opposite the end where the drive
bay cover screw attaches.)

That tab is about 1mm thick for the 12mm drive bay covers. With a 9mm
drive, it's about 3.5-4mm thick. You CANNOT put a drive bay cover for a
9mm drive on a bay which contains a 12mm drive. I tried. :)

Considering the cost of hard drives vs. little pieces of plastic, I'd
look into ordering the cover for a 9mm drive, or at least try something
like a piece of a rubber band in there.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header