[ltp] Re: Desperate to get my PCMCIA GPRS working please :(

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:40:42 +1100

On 18 Jan 2005, Bob Alexander wrote:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> On 17 Jan 2005, Bob Alexander wrote:
>>
>>> I had managed to configure my PCMCIA GPRS to work with wvdial.
>>>
>>> Now for reasons I do not understand upon insertion of the card NOTHING
>>> seems to happen (for instance with tail -f /var/log/syslog) !!!!
>> OK, that looks like the cause of your problems.
>> Do you have PCMCIA and Cardbus support compiled into your kernel?
>> That would be the 'cs' and 'ds' modules, if not built-in.
>> Are you running the cardmgr tools from the PCMCIA tools package?
>> What does cardinfo say when you have the card inserted?
>> Can it see the card?
>> Daniel
>
> Daniel thank you so much for trying to help.

No problems. I can't claim to be an expert on PCMCIA debugging, but I
have done a bit of it in my time.

> 1) The PCMCIA and Cardbus support are compiled into my 2.6.10 kernel
> with the following options:
> #
> # PCCARD (PCMCIA/CardBus) support
> #
> CONFIG_PCCARD=y
> # CONFIG_PCMCIA_DEBUG is not set
> # CONFIG_PCMCIA_OBSOLETE is not set
> CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
> CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
>
> BTW What are card bridges ? I only have YENTA=y defined

Yenta should be what you need.  I presume that your kernel notes the
presence of the Cardbus bridge during boot?

> 2) No I am not running cardmgr from the pcmcia-cs packages since I am
> running the hotplug system. This is what the page from pcmcia-cs says:
>
> "Since version 2.4 (and later) kernels have their own drivers, they can
> be built with their own PCMCIA support. Nevertheless, this package or
> the hotplug package is still required to load and unload drivers on
> demand."

Hrm. Well, maybe I don't need the user-space tools any more for things
to work.  It might be worth trying them, though, to see if they help.

> The card worked.

This worked previously, on an older kernel version, do you mean?

If so, that would point to a kernel bug. ;)

> Could it be that a hotplug or udev package update broke something ?
> How could I debug this ?

It could be.

I note you didn't include the output of 'cardmgr info', which would be
helpful, since that would tell me exactly what the kernel PCMCIA layer
thought about the card in question.

Otherwise, try checking the kernel message logs to see what, if
anything, the kernel does when the card is inserted, and post that here
in the hope it sheds some light on things...

   Daniel

--
Artists are people driven by a conflict between the desire to
communicate and the even stronger desire to hide.