[ltp] Re: Desperate to get my PCMCIA GPRS working please :(

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:17:04 +0100

Daniel Pittman wrote:

>>BTW What are card bridges ? I only have YENTA=y defined
>

> Yenta should be what you need.  I presume that your kernel notes the
> presence of the Cardbus bridge during boot?

Yenta: CardBus bridge found at 0000:02:00.0 [1014:0512]
Yenta: Using INTVAL to route CSC interrupts to PCI
Yenta: Routing CardBus interrupts to PCI
Yenta TI: socket 0000:02:00.0, mfunc 0x01d21022, devctl 0x64
Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x04f8, PCI irq 11
Yenta: CardBus bridge found at 0000:02:00.1 [1014:0512]
Yenta: Using INTVAL to route CSC interrupts to PCI
Yenta: Routing CardBus interrupts to PCI
Yenta TI: socket 0000:02:00.1, mfunc 0x01d21022, devctl 0x64
Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x04f8, PCI irq 11

>>2) No I am not running cardmgr from the pcmcia-cs packages since I am
>>running the hotplug system. This is what the page from pcmcia-cs says:
>>
>>"Since version 2.4 (and later) kernels have their own drivers, they can
>>be built with their own PCMCIA support. Nevertheless, this package or
>>the hotplug package is still required to load and unload drivers on
>>demand."
>

> Hrm. Well, maybe I don't need the user-space tools any more for things
> to work.  It might be worth trying them, though, to see if they help.
>

>>The card worked.
>

> This worked previously, on an older kernel version, do you mean?
>
> If so, that would point to a kernel bug. ;)

No, what I meant is that the card worked with the SAME 2.6.10 kernel.
The only thing I could not be 100% sure is that I had tweaked some
setting and recompiled it (for instance trying a little patch for the
radeon_pm.c ACPI S3 drain).

>>Could it be that a hotplug or udev package update broke something ?
>>How could I debug this ?
>

> It could be.

I am pretty sure that hotplug and/or udev have changed package level
between the working and not working moments !

> I note you didn't include the output of 'cardmgr info', which would be
> helpful, since that would tell me exactly what the kernel PCMCIA layer
> thought about the card in question.

Until now as I said I had not installed the user-space utilities. Do you
believe it would be necessary

> Otherwise, try checking the kernel message logs to see what, if
> anything, the kernel does when the card is inserted, and post that here
> in the hope it sheds some light on things...

I tried tail -f on /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages. Nothing there.
Also dmesg shows nothing upon insertion/removal.

TY
Bob