[ltp] Re: Desperate to get my PCMCIA GPRS working please :(

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:30:36 +0100

--=-+uEQUgy8EUnToPpD/1S+

Hei Bob,

> awaiting your response I went ahead and installed the pcmcia-cs package.=20
> Everything went back working as expected. Cardmgr creates loads the=20
> serial_cs module and also makes udev create the /dev/ttyS2 and related=20
> /dev/modem link.
>=20
> wvdial works aok.
>=20
> Tried uninstalling pcmcia-cs and again silence is total !!!

Are you sure, you didn't have the pcmcia-cs tools installed before?
I always thought that even when using hotplug you still need the cardmgr
to tell hotplug about a new card. (I think i read this in some of the
kernel doc files or in some howto. I remember having read that if
cardmgr finds a cardbus card it signifies this to hotplug, which is
handling the rest.)

In fact i don't know if this is not needed when you enable PCI
hotplugging in the kernel (maybe you switched it off between working and
non-working states?).

> I therefore suspect that there is a bug in hotplug.

You can find out if hotplug is called at all by writing a wrapper-script
that lists the kernel call and hands it over to the real hotplug...
something like:

#!/bin/sh
echo $* >>/var/log/hotplugcalls
/sbin/hotplug.orig $*

You would have to save this as /sbin/hotplug after renaming the original
hotplug to hotplug.orig.

Andr=E9.

--=-+uEQUgy8EUnToPpD/1S+

--=-+uEQUgy8EUnToPpD/1S+--