[ltp] Re: Desperate to get my PCMCIA GPRS working please :(

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:42:49 +0100

André Wyrwa wrote:

> You can find out if hotplug is called at all by writing a wrapper-script
> that lists the kernel call and hands it over to the real hotplug...
> something like:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> echo $* >>/var/log/hotplugcalls
> /sbin/hotplug.orig $*
>
> You would have to save this as /sbin/hotplug after renaming the original
> hotplug to hotplug.orig.
>
> André.

This is what the developer says about my bug hypothesis. Does it make
sense with what you have been saying ?

Ciao,
Bob

 >Since a few days (I do not use it very often) I discovered that my
PCMCIA Sony/Ericsson GC85 GPRS/EDGE modem card was not recognized
anymore by hotplug.

 >> Upon insertion/removal of the card, no activity took place int tail
-f /var/log/syslog|messages or in dmesg.

If no hotplug event is generated by the kernel then this is a kernel
problem.

 >> To debug I installed the pcmcia-cs package and everything works fine.
 >> cardmgr modprobes the serial_cs module and makes udev create the

Nice, but not relevant. hotplug can only load drivers for cards which
generate an hotplug event, while cardmgr uses different methods.

 >> Please note that with the same kernel and environment hotplug must have
 >> worked (some weeks ago) since I used this modem from now and then
 >> without needing to install the pcmcia-cs package.

hotplug has not changed in months.
If the difference is that in this time you installed udev then you need
to read and understand its README.Debian file, which explains what's
wrong with your system.