[ltp] I need some help on ACPI sleep

JP Renaud linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:06:31 +0000

Hi,

I have installed Gentoo on a TP R51 (1829-9MG), the one with a 1400x1050
screen resolution. It is working fairly well except for Suspend to RAM.

The laptop suspends OK but after resume, I get a black screen with two yellow
characters (IN) in the top middle and a blinking white cursor in the top left
of the screen. After about 5 seconds, the laptop reboots on its own.

I have read reports of others having similar problems and the usual advice is
to appy the latest BIOS and append acpi_sleep=s3_bios as boot kernel option.
Well, I have done both but it has not changed anything.

I am starting to think that I have done something wrong when compiling my
kernel but I cannot track the problem. Any help or idea on this subject? For
instance, I'd like to be able to look at logs of the resume sequence but I am
not sure what logs I should be looking at...

Also, for Suspend to disk, the only problem is my USB mouse. I use swsusp2 and
could unload/load modules or stop/start services but I am not sure what the
best option is. I use hotplug and the mouse is managed by this. If I restart
hotplug, it does activate the mouse (probably because the mouse is already
plugged in). i have tried to load the usbhid module, no result. The only way
it works is to unplu and replug the mouse. Any pointer on that one would be
very appreciated too.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

JP

--