[ltp] Linux laptops get Centrino inside

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:01:12 -0600

Quoting Michelle Klein-Hass <bosslady@msgeek.com>:
> On Thursday 20 January 2005 02:32 am, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > Quoting:
> >   Karen Regis, manager of mobile programs and promotions at the
> > chipmaker said the reason for the change was that with the release of
> > the 2.6.8 Linux kernel, the open source operating system's power
> > management abilities now meet Intel's requirements for Centrino
> > notebook battery life.
>
> That's funny, because Kernel 2.6.8 broke the power manglement for ThinkPad 600
> series and 570 series laptops, and 2.6.9 fixed it.
>
> Was 2.6.8 a good kernel for ACPI but a crummy one for APM, or something?
>
> Puzzled,
> Michelle

I am running SuSE 9.2 w/ 2.6.8 kernel and ACPI on a T41 (Centrino).
It works well out of the box.  IMHO, the significant part is that
Linux has taken another step towards mainstream.

Nothing everything ACPIish on my T41 works as well as on WIndows, but
I haven't put much effort into it.  Getting paying work out the door
has a higher priority than "cosmetic" features.  E.g., I'll keep
typing "powersave -U" for a while longer before taking the time to get
Fn-F12 to do the same thing.

Jeffrey