[ltp] Re: External USB drive

Alex Kempshall linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:11:41 +0000

Was a solution found for this like using a PCMIA USB 2.0 card?

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Hector Socas Navarro wrote:

Hi folks,

	I recently purchased a 200Gb extrenal hard drive (USB 2). When I
started using it I found it painfully slow so I used hdparm to test its
speed:

[root@sauron root]# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.38 seconds =336.84 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 93.69 seconds =699.50 kB/sec

Something's very wrong here. I should be getting ~40 MB/sec, right? The
usual hdparm options don't work because a USB drive is treated as a SCSI
disk. Does anybody know why I'm getting this poor performance or how to
fix it?

I'm running RedHat 7.3 with some updates and kernel 2.4.22 on a T30

Thanks in advance!

Hector

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/