[ltp] Re: External USB drive

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:42:37 -0500

On Thursday 20 January 2005 12:11, after a long battle with technology,
Alex Kempshall wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Hector Socas Navarro wrote:
>> I recently purchased a 200Gb extrenal hard drive (USB 2).
>> [root@sauron root]# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
>>   Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 93.69 seconds =699.50 kB/sec
>> Something's very wrong here. I should be getting ~40 MB/sec, right?
>> I'm running RedHat 7.3 with some updates and kernel 2.4.22 on a T30

I Googled for the T30 and didn't find anything saying that it had a USB2
chipset in it.  I didn't find anything saying that it *didn't* have a
USB2 chipset, either.  You can figure out whether you have a USB2
chipset by doing "lspci -vv | grep HCI".  If "EHCI" shows up, you have
a USB2 chipset.  If not, you don't, and you will be limited to USB1
speeds.

If you have a USB2 chipset, you need to have the ehci_hcd module loaded.
modprobe that if it's not in lsmod's output.

> Was a solution found for this like using a PCMIA USB 2.0 card?

If the T30 doesn't have a USB2 chipset, a PCMCIA USB2 card will be the
best bet.  HTH,

--
   Jesus is the best radio producer in the beans.  We need some saliva
   and pickles to get mad.   --MegaHAL, "The Best of MegaHAL"