[ltp] 600(E) questions

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:14:38 +0100

--=-7Z5eCxM2NqXLOHqB/rnz

Hei,

finally, it's time for me to get in touch with the legend... ;-)

Got a used 600E today which will travel with me to siberia as a present
for someone. Having a look at it and trying to install some reasonable
system some questions are digging their way along to the surface of my
skull...

1) I can't figure how to access the BIOS...what key will i have to
press? (Neither F1 nor DEL seemed to do anything, also i don't get any
message at the boot screen, just the notion that this is a
ThinkPad. ;-) )

2) Actually i do get more info on the boot screen... a number 16..... at
the top left corner. It seems only to appear on powering on, so i guess
it's the mem self test?

It has a 6 GB HDD and 160 MB RAM and a 366MHz PII. I'm going to do a
dual boot installation with german Windows and russian Linux. This is
where my brain starts getting troubled...

3) Its a long time since i used Win 98SE. Do you think the speed gain is
worth sacrificing improved stability of W2K or WXP? (Also i'll only have
1.3 GB for the win system partition).

4) I did a (quick) SuSE 9.0 OEM (german) installation. Can anyone
recommend me a not too big distro that supports at least russian and
german or english (can't speak russian myself). Thinking about
this...shouldn't every russian localized distro also support english (in
non-localized mode)?

5) After installing SuSE i did a quick test to play an xvid video from
CD. Kaffeine pretended to play but i neither saw any picture nor heared
any sound. Did anyone run into this before?

Andr=E9.

--=-7Z5eCxM2NqXLOHqB/rnz

--=-7Z5eCxM2NqXLOHqB/rnz--