[ltp] 600(E) questions

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:07:54 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, André Wyrwa wrote:

> 1) I can't figure how to access the BIOS...what key will i have to
> press? (Neither F1 nor DEL seemed to do anything, also i don't get any
> message at the boot screen, just the notion that this is a
> ThinkPad. ;-) )

F10?  Heck, there's only, what, 12 F-keys?  The odds are it's one of them.

> It has a 6 GB HDD and 160 MB RAM and a 366MHz PII. I'm going to do a
> dual boot installation with german Windows and russian Linux.

Remember to install Linux SECOND, unless you like playing with bootloaders.

> 3) Its a long time since i used Win 98SE. Do you think the speed gain is
> worth sacrificing improved stability of W2K or WXP? (Also i'll only have
> 1.3 GB for the win system partition).

On a 6 GB HD, which Windows and Linux split about evenly, I think an
advanced Windows would be quite cramped.  Is it possible to replace the hard
drive?  160 MB RAM is kinda small for XP too, assuming you want to do more
than just look at it.

> 4) I did a (quick) SuSE 9.0 OEM (german) installation. Can anyone
> recommend me a not too big distro that supports at least russian and
> german or english (can't speak russian myself). Thinking about
> this...shouldn't every russian localized distro also support english (in
> non-localized mode)?

If it's English native, then yes.  But if it's from some other language it
might support that language and Russian but not English.