[ltp] 600(E) questions

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:29:57 -0700

wes schreiner wrote:

> Other things every 600E owner needs:
>
> BIOS firmware and Windows device drivers at
> <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/DSHY-3TLQ2L.html?lang=en_US&page=brand&brand=root&doctype=&subtype=Cat>
>

> IBM page on the modem driver for Linux at
> <http://www-124.ibm.com/acpmodem/>
>
> The hardware maintenance manual at
> <ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/09n1033.pdf>
>
> Product support page.  This is for a 600E 2645-4AU, but yours will be
> similar and you can change the product once you load this page.  (awful
> long link)
> <http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/productpage/landingpages/productPageLandingPage.vm&brandind=10&familyind=50130&machineind=61659&modelind=64010&partnumberind=0&subcategoryind=0&doctypeind=3&doccategoryind=0&validate=true>
>

> Thomas Hood's 600X Linux page.  Most of this info applies to the 600E too.
> <http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm>
>
> Linux on ThinkPads webring hub.
> <http://t.webring.com/hub?ring=linuxthinkpad&list&page=0>
>
> That should be enough to get you started.

There is also a web page about loading RH on the 600E and it is on the
IBM web site.  Gives nice hints about enabling sound with this machine.
The 600E is the only Thinkpad that IBM provides this support for.

Also, depending on your system's LCD screen, support for up to 1024x768.
  Once you find your machine on the IBM site, get the screen size and
use that for your installation.  I installed FC3 on a 600E and it has
generic LCD screens.  Choose the one that matches you system.  I don't
know if SUSE or Mandrake provides this in their installation setup, but
they should.
Also, internationalization is available, but how good is your Russian as
  it may have to be installed at the time you set up your system.
Enjoy and welcome to the world of Linux.

--
James McKenzie