[ltp] Thinkpad T23 Battery

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:21:26 +0100

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:44:44 +0500, Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:

> Donald B. Altman typed:
>
> > Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:
> >> My battery lasted roughly two hours when I bought a refurbished T21.
> >> Now, after six months, it barely lasts half an hour.
> >
> > Just in case this helps....  Remember that Li-ion batteries have a
> > fixed number of charge/discharge cycles - in the low hundreds.  If
> > you're draining your battery each time, rather than staying on the
> > charger, your battery is likely worn out after 6 months.
>
> I might have drained my battery some fifty times -- it could easily be
> fewer or more than fifty -- but almost 90% of the time since I bought
> it, it has been on AC power supply with the battery still inside.
>
> Regulars at comp.sys.laptops, a USENET newsgroup I frequented when I
> initially bought my T21, advice against running on mains /with/ the
> battery inside.  It, they say, lowers battery life.

It lowers battery life if the battery loses some percent after some
days (which batteries usually do) and starts charging, since everytime
the battery gets charged it will lose some of it's maximum capacity.
Another point is that the temperaturs indide a notebook aren't the
perfect storage temperature for a Li-H battery, it's way too hot. I
read in a magazine that the best thing you can do for your battery is
to take it out with approx. 40%-80% charged and put it in a cool, dry
place, and only charge it if it's nearly empty or if you need it.

Regards,
Tino