[ltp] System clock wrong on resume from ACPI suspend in recent FC3 update

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:02:31 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Eric Benson wrote:

> On a Thinkpad T41p running Fedora Core 3 kept up-to-date since November.
> Recently, in the past two or three weeks, the clock has been incorrect
> every time I resume from ACPI suspend. Before that it was always correct
> when it woke up. Now the clock is always fast when it wakes up. It
> appears to be proportional to how long it has been sleeping, as if the
> clock were running consistently extremely fast while asleep, but I
> haven't run any tests to see if it is reproducible. I've been fixing it
> by restarting ntpd. I'm currently running kernel 2.6.10-1.741, but I've
> had all of the kernel updates since FC3 came out. I can't say for sure
> that the problem started with a kernel update, but it may have coincided
> with the first 2.6.10 kernel.
>
> Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

Noticed this as well. (with APM/600E). This is more pronounced with
Vmware.

[haven't looked at bugzilla yet to see if this is reported]

One workarround is to rebuild the kernel with HZ=100 instead of the
default HZ=1000 (CONFIG_X86_HZ flag is available for -ac kernels)

Satish