[ltp] Thinkpad T23 Battery

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:07:56 +0100

Am Samstag, 22. Januar 2005 11:50 schrieb Harry Popov:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Nothing personal. Being a newbe to Linux I learned a lot from this
> list. As I have extream pracice with all kind of bateries just wrote
> my opinion.

Hello Harry,

nothing personal from me either ;-). I just stated what I read. Actually I
do not know the truth, since I am no expert in that area.

I just treat the battery of my IBM ThinkPad T23 in the way I read in that
article (I can try to find out the exact issue of c't magazine, but its
in german anyway) and at least it seems to last as long as it did when I
bought that used notebook. But that doesn't have to mean much, since its
merely half an year since then.

> I almost agree with this. The temperature "bellow usual room
> temperature" is actually 7C. THis is the lower shelf in a usual
> kitchen ice-box. Using 80% capacity before storing means only less
> time you could keep it aside of computer safely. Unfortunately every

Okay, but I usually need my battery once a month at least and I never had
it dropped below 50% of capacity as recommended in that article. This may
well be an issue when you put it aside for a rather long time. The author
of that article recommends checking the battery periodically and recharge
it to 80% when its near 50%.

> From my 33 years practice, which is aside computers and mostly
> radiostations etc, I know that for Litium bateries it is always
> better for the baterry to be under some kind of cicling /charge
> disscharge/ which is the case with notebooks bateries. While this is
> true with litiums, it is another jobs with NiCads. They formed so
> called memory if are constantly discharged to the same level and
> this level is not 100% discharge. Which actually is the case when a
> notebook is connected to the mains with batery in. Perhaps this was
> what the author of the above ment without mentioning that.

I respect your experience in that area. I do not have this kind of
experience, since I am using a notebook regularily only since half a
year.

As far as I understand the author of that article actually he referred to
lithium batteries, but I probably I didn't understand it correctly.
Unfortunately I do not have that article at hand at the moment.

Regards,