[ltp] T42 Questions (Model 2379R9U)

Meidinger Chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:43:07 +0100

> * How big of a size difference is the 15" model from the 14"
> models? I know the T4x series is thinner than the T30's, but
> I was wondering also about space on a desk, for example.

The size difference is noticable. I use a 15", but while it was broken i had
a 14" as a loaner from IBM. I much prefer the 15", but i would recommend
looking at them if you can. If you want, i can take a picture of my 15" next
to some 'common' items as a reference and send it to you.

> * Is weight difference noticeable between a T4x 14" model vs. the 15"?

I noticed almost no difference. The specs will tell you this for sure
though.

> * From the looks of the list, support for the Intel 2200
> wireless card is pretty good. Bluetooth also seems to be a non-issue.

Both are fantastic. I have an Intel 2100, but the loaner had a 2200. All i
had to do was switch kernel module from ipw2100 to ipw2200 and everything
worked.

> * How is general experience with SUSE 9.1 (or 9.2 - may buy
> it at the same time)? Not all posts mention distro being used.

SuSE is evil. QED.

(Ok, i use SuSE on some servers because the management agents are only
available for SuSE and Redhat. Redhat is the lesser of the two evils, but at
work we are SuSE partner. SuSE has got excellent support for laptops out of
the box, however. If you can read german, there was a comparison in the C't
(a german it magazine) about 3 months ago. SuSE installed very well.)

> * Other hardware gotchas (incompatibilities)? I don't plan on
> using the fingerprint reader. 1400x1050 resolution will work
> OK under X? That kind of stuff.

I know of no problems. Theoretically the modem should work (i have debian
sarge with kernel 2.6.9) but i never tried it.

X works great at 1400x1050. The 15" models have 1600x1200 which is, IMHO,
absolutely perfect.

Everything else installs quite well.

> Look forward to any answers people here can provide. Thanks.

Hope that helped.

Cheers,

Chris